22 February 2010

Andersonville of Yesterday

Augie's,
George's Ice Cream Shop
A & P,
Nelson's Bakery,
Mom's Bakery,
Villa Sweden,
Toguri
and Neisner's.

If these names ring a bell and mean anything to you, then, you are (or were) a longtime resident of Andersonville, the Edgewater neighborhood on Chicago's North Side.

The above long gone businesses began to pop up in my mind's memory bank, as I read an article in the neighborhood newspaper, NewStar, that Thybony at Clark and Catalpa will be replaced by a new Walgreens. The article stated that inquiries regarding the status of Thybony - whether it will re - locate or go out of business - have yet to be answered.

Now, a few names from my memory file: Friday nights, for me, meant that my family would be enjoying dinner at Augie's, (Clark & Balmoral) a longtime eatery in the neighborhood. There, they knew me by name and knew exactly what I wanted: Twin cheeseburger and fries, and a vanilla milkshake!

The smell of pizza would waft from Neisner's, (Clark & Berwyn) a well - loved dime store, that was the first employer for many of the neighborhood's teenagers.

At Toguri (Clark & Balmoral), Mom would pick up fresh tuna, sembei (Japanese snacks), shoyu (soy sauce), and rice in huge cloth bags.

And I expanded my waistline, thanks to George's Ice Cream Shop, (Clark & Balmoral) and their belt - busting banana split!

Andersonville's younger residents would not recall that there was a time when Jewel - Osco had a rival grocery store:

A & P! (Clark & Catalpa) There, at checkout, transactions ended with the issuance of Plaid Stamps, which customers would collect and use to purchase various types of merchandise. (A & P was housed inside the very building Thybony will vacate.)

I guess change is good for a neighborhood. Nevertheless, it is nice to visit the scrapbook of my mind and recall childhood events and smiles the above businesses generated.

Jackie

No comments: