23 March 2010

Andersonville Screenz RIP

I first walked into a "Screenz" Internet cafe, back in 1994, at their Clark and Diversey location. Surfing the Net and email were alien to me. And to me, Spam was mystery meat in a can. But after a staff member sat me down in front of one of the store's 40+ computers, and instructed me on how to start an email account and access a website, I was well on my way to becoming a wiz speeding along the information super highway. Since then, I have created a website, used draw programs and begun my own blogs.

Sadly, the Screenz at Clark and Foster has closed! Though I still do not own a computer, I am able to use those at public libraries, for free. The last time I was at a Screenz, they were charging 16 cents per minute, and 39 cents for each printed document (and that's just for black and white!). I was adept enough to wean myself from Screenz, and so I found more affordable ways to get on the Internet. May Screenz in Andersonville rest in peace!

Jackie

No comments: