23 April 2010

Customer Lost in Translation

The other day, I came home to find a stack of sale circulars from a local Hispanic grocery store. The entire flyer was printed in Spanish. I am assuming that this business wishes to reach a Spanish - only customer base because, they failed in their attempt to lure me (a non - Hispanic) into the store. The ad was automatically destined for the trash!

I appreciate the diversity that exists in Chicago and the unique character of its ethnic neighborhoods, but this all - Spanish mass - mailing limits the demographic of the people who will walk in the door. In addition to Spanish - speaking recipients, the flyers landed on the doorsteps of those whose primary language isn't Spanish (I among them). In my case, the ad went from my doorstep to the paper shredder. And whenever I see a store sign printed in a language other than English, I immediately assume that the owner welcomes customers who only speak that specific language. As a result, I dismiss the business as a regular destination for me and spend my money at one that is more inclusive.

Jackie

2 comments:

Scott said...

What about all those English-only ads that get sent to Spanish-speaking Chicagoans? And turning away from a store just because it has non-English-language signs means you're missing out on some wonderful options. Go to a Polish bakery on Milwaukee Avenue or La Unica on Devon, or a shop in Chinatown, and give it a try. Don't assume the shop owners are as biased against speakers of other languages as you seem to be.

Jackie said...

Actually, I am more multicultural than you might expect. I listen to world music with non - English lyrics, for instance. But I go into a store (or any business, for that matter), I am doing so because I need something. And should I have a question to ask a store employee, it does me no good and wastes my time if I need a translator.