30 January 2009

An Afternoon Around the World

People pay big bucks for bus tours to a neighborhood like the one in my own backyard. In my spare time, I love to stroll along Devon Avenue, starting at Damen and ending at Kedzie. One minute your senses are filled with the sights and aromas of India and Pakistan; the next, you are tempted by the alluring flavours of Russia and Israel.

Since my high school years, I have shopped at 'Rosenblum's', a Jewish gift and book shop. Imagine! They stock an assortment of merchandise from Israel, music, and gift items. For grocery shopping, I stop at 'World Fruit Market' where I buy quality produce at prices lower than those at the major supermarket chains. Plus there is a wide variety of rice, Indian spices (as well as frozen entrees!), and, in the back, a halal/zabiha meat department. For my sugar fix, I like to visit 'Levinson's Bakery'.

No comments: