30 March 2009

Aldi Loved and Loathed

I have been following the controversy that has been created by Aldi's interest in opening shop at the new condo complex, The Clarovista (formerly, The Granville) and, I have to confess, just a few years ago, I might have been in the camp that's trying to keep the discount grocery chain out of Edgewater, thinking that it would only attract shoppers armed with food stamps.

I remember first setting foot in their location at N. California and W. Granville. I was very apprehensive as I saw shoppers inserting quarters into locks linking the shopping carts together and bagging their purchases, and I left with only a small quantity of items (I was basically 'kicking the tires' on my first Aldi experience).

After eating everything I had bought, I was so impressed with the quality that, I made Aldi my primary destination for groceries. I get my quarter back when I return my shopping cart and bagging my own groceries is kind of fun! Especially while observing parents enlist the help of their kids. At Aldi, bagging duties become a family project. Often, a shopper arriving at the store hands me the quarter he or she might have used to release a shopping cart. This scene is repeated quite frequently at Aldi.

And the food? Their frozen stir fry shrimp kit could rival many Chinese take-0uts! And frozen desserts (including my favourite, frozen glazed donuts I nuke in the microwave) are sinfully irresistable. On many trips, I have walked out of Aldi with four large bags of groceries...for UNDER $40! The same quantity bought at a traditional supermarket would cost over $100.

And, in this current economy, the demographics seem to have changed. In the store's parking lot I have seen clunkers sitting next to Acuras. There is also more foot traffic and the lines at the registers have gotten much longer. There used to be a sparse number of customers during the mornings and afternoons; not anymore. No matter what time of the day I shop at Aldi, the place is packed!

So, give Aldi a try. You might be pleasantly surprised, just like I was.

No comments: