02 January 2010

Falafil Shack Update

Recently, during a recent visit to the new Edgewater/Rogers Park eatery, "Falafil Shack," I told the owner that he needs more customers, noting that I was the only soul inside the restaurant. He lamented that building a customer base takes time, and added that once a steady stream of patrons becomes a common sight at Falafil Shack, he will raise the prices, because his business won't survive if he continues to charge such cheap prices. There are some kinks at the restaurant that need to be worked out. For instance, on this occasion, I ordered the grilled chicken legs that was listed on the menu. "No! It takes too long," the owner replied. It takes too long? Rather than leave in a huff, I ordered an alternate: the combo featuring kifta (ground lamb and beef), a chicken kebab, and rice. If customers get this kind of response too often, they will stop coming. If the dish is too time - consuming, he either needs to hire someone to cook the food while he writes down the orders; or omit the item from the menu.

I go out of my way to support mom - and - pop businesses, as opposed to spending my money at an establishment run by a corporation. I hope that Falafil Shack can work out its problems, because, I really want the restaurant to succeed. It is a brave soul who starts a business while a recession is in - progress.

Jackie

No comments: