16 January 2010

What's in a Brand Name?

What's in a name? Well, where consumer products are concerned, a great deal! For years, I was of the mindset that brand - name items were superior to private labels, or store brands. National brands carried a great deal of weight for me, as I figured the quality of the less expensive store brands was substandard.



These days, however, I am more likely to avoid national labels in favor of those bearing the name of the store I happen to be shopping at. Does it have to be Lipton Tea? Can't I settle for a private brand? I answer that question every time I reach for the store brand; and the cheaper tea tastes just fine. Actually, it tastes better because I saved money. (The only item I won't skimp on is soy sauce; I have stubbornly stuck with Kikkoman.)



Originally, my spending habits changed about eight years ago, due to financial hardship. I had to forgo products so prominently advertised on television, for those lesser known. But something happened: I realized that 'cheap' did not necessarily mean poor quality. Today, selecting private label items is routine whenever I shop for groceries. I save even more when I buy my groceries at independent supermarkets. I now buy store brands by choice, not necessity.

So what's in a name? The next time you're at the supermarket , answering that question can determine how much lighter your wallet will be when you leave.

Jackie


No comments: