14 February 2011

Less Than Enthused, But Grateful

I should feel enthusiastic about voting in this country. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the freedom I have to cast a ballot without fear of gunfire or harassment, as they do in other countries of the world. Even in Chicago, where vote fraud has become legendary, I am able to walk into my polling place and, peacefully, make my choices.



Having mentioned some of the benefits of voting in a free country, I am less than enthusiastic about the choices printed on the ballot. Sometimes I wish the ballot offered 'None of the above' as one of the options. Seems like, no matter whom I select, they'll be sworn into office while carrying more baggage than could fit in a 747. From my perspective, I'm voting for candidates most likely to be indicted! And once in office they NEVER keep their campaign promises. I would do no worse if I voted for Osama bin Laden as Chicago's next mayor.

Despite my complaints, I am grateful that my country allows me the freedom to voice my choice inside a public library, a church, or any facility that serves as a polling place. Campaign workers and newspapers recommend candidates they feel are best qualified for the job, but there is no one standing over my shoulder demanding that I vote for so - and - so, or else. That is something we ALL should be grateful for.



Jackie

No comments: