09 February 2011

My Alderman Wants Condos

The residents of Edgewater's Andersonville area want a park that will provide badly - needed open space and a place where their kids can play. Right now, their only option is a microscopic playlot behind a Jewel - Osco. In a counterstrike, 40th Ward Alderman, Patrick O'Connor, is pushing for a complex that includes retail and condos. My fear is that, if he gets his wish, his wife, Barbara (who is in the real estate business), would reap the benefits.

But what about the needs of Andersonville's residents? It is with sadness that I watch yet another local election get underway, while Alderman O'Connor is unopposed in his bid for an umpteenth term. Political road blocks are erected so that no one else has a shot at occupying the 40th Ward office. Just another one of the dirty tricks played in Chicago politics. Obstacles are placed before potential opponents, while power gluttons hold on to their seats in the City Council.

Meanwhile, the neighbours in Andersonville dream of a park that would enhance their lives in the community that they call home. Where, they crash on sofas after a hard day's work and sit down for dinner with their families.

Jackie

2 comments:

Scott said...

I completely agree. I'm angry with myself for not knowing ahead of time that Ald. O'Connor was even up for re-election this year and that he's unopposed. I'm not one to run for office, but I will again write my own name in and vote for myself rather than for him, like last time.

I just hope that with a new mayor, Ald. O'Connor's apparent conflicts of interest will be scrutinized.

Jackie said...

Lifers, like Alderman O'Connor, become entrenched in the mindset of "I can do whatever I want and screw others' opinion" and, in fact, do whatever they please without any opposition, and with disregard of what would improve the standard of living for their constituents.

In short: Patrick O'Connor needs to be shown the door!

Jackie