07 May 2009

Not Surprised!

I was not surprised to learn that two pedestrians were fatally struck by a car recently, at the intersection of W. Devon and N. Western. I AM surprised that it does not occur more frequently because of the hazardous driving demonstrated by motorists who use this intersection. Red lights are either ignored or drivers step on the accelerator before the traffic light changes. At Devon and Western, it's cross at your own risk, because drivers there don't stop and it does not matter if you have the green light. And their behavior is getting worse!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jackie,
My dad was friends with your father. I remember meeting him a number of times. What a wonderful man!

I live in West Ridge and was looking for info about the Dominick's reconstruction and came across your blog. Thanks for the info.

Pat Lydon

Jackie said...

Thanks, Pat. My Dad was a local celebrity of sorts. Imagine living with him! There never was a dull moment in our house while I was growing up. One of the people he knew well was pro - golfer, Ken Venturi and his wife, Beau. I spent a week at their home in Marco Island, FL. The ocean was practically at their doorstep and I spent many an hour 'catching' dinner. Some of the people I met were Harry Caray (who attended my brother's wedding) and Irv Kupcinet. Both were legendary in their own special way.

Jackie