16 May 2009

Tommie O'Leary: A Local Legend

He first began attracting attention while tending bar at the famed restaurant, called 'Binyons'. He was a Japanese - American who was born in Seattle. He and my Mom met in an internment camp during World War II. When I came along in 1958, we lived in an apartment building located where Truman College now stands; we moved into a two - flat on Rascher, in the Andersonville neighborhood. We resided there for over 30 years. After calling it a day at Binyon's, my father opened a private dinner club, called 'Tommie O'Leary's Original Key Club'. The restaurant attracted a number of celebrities, both local and nationally known figures. It wasn't rare to see the likes of Fahey Flynn and Irv Kupcinet. My father also knew Harry Caray (who attended my brother's wedding), Steve Lawrence & Eddie Gorme, Chuck Connors and, even, Old Blue Eyes, Frank Sinatra (in fact, my Dad attended Sinatra's last wedding).

My father's generous nature extended beyond family members, and he was particularly fond of kids. Sometimes to a fault. He would take me to a toy store and all I had to do was point to the toys I wanted, and they were MINE. Also, my Dad would get me tickets to see The Beatles (at the old Comiskey Park and the Amphitheater), Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, and, the King, Elvis Presley! I remember one night going to the old Oriental Theatre with my Dad to see Little Richard. What a blast that was!

But there was also a dark side to his personality: He had a horrible temper! I recall an incident in Wisconsin where my family was vacationing (I was about age 7). Apparently, he started yelling at my older brother for speaking to him sarcastically. A similar event occurred some years later involving my uncle (one of my Mom's 16 siblings). He was also known to throw objects when he was upset about something and use language that would have made the characters in the movie 'Platoon' blush.

Despite his flaws, now that I am much older, I recall with fondness the many happy years I spent with Tommie O'Leary, my father. My best friend.

Tommie O'Leary passed away in 1988 from a stroke.

Jackie

No comments: