22 May 2009

Summer is Calling

Memorial Day heralds the 'unofficial' start of summer. Ah! The smell of barbecue picnics. The last waning days of school. The appearance of the first West Nile Virus case. Yellow jackets spoiling outdoor weddings...

Though I am more of a jacket - weather fan, I do appreciate the many activities Chicago (and surrounding suburbs) has to offer. What I don't appreciate are days when both the temperature and humidity are in the 90's. In the wintertime, you can always put on more clothes; but no matter how hot you are you CAN'T take it all off! The police would not be amused. Usuallly, I spend the majority of my summer hibernating in my air conditioned den. This year will be no different. I'm even taking time off from my busy schedule at Immanuel Lutheran Church where I attend Sunday worship. (Hey! If God needed seven days to chill out after creating the universe, I can take a holiday, too!) Besides, the church isn't air - conditioned and my apartment is.

Every now and then, I will emerge from the comfort of my home just long enough to attend 'Taste of Chicago' and visit a couple of museums. But, for the most part, I will remain in hibernation.

I both love and loathe summer. I look forward to all of the fun I'm going to have at the museums and at home. A visit to The Field Museum and, then, a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' marathon in my living room. Sounds like a summer plan to me!

Jackie

No comments: